Front garden fencing is available in many different styles, which as well as having different aesthetics can also have different levels of security.
Fencing around your front garden can make it stand out from your neighbour’s houses and add an attractive aspect to your garden. It is also a necessity for some people with pets and children, especially if your front garden leads on to a busy road.
What to consider when choosing a fence for your front garden
When you are choosing a fence for your front garden, there are a few things you need to take into account. These include:
- The purpose of the fence. If you are looking for security then you will need to choose a more robust fence such as a palisade or wrought iron fence. If you are looking to add an attractive feature to your garden then you might want to choose a picket fence or trellis fence.
- The height of the fence. You need to make sure that the fence is high enough to deter intruders but not so high that it obscures your view of the house.
- The material of the fence. If you live in a coastal area then you will need to choose a material which is resistant to salt water. If you are looking for a low maintenance fence then you might want to choose PVC or metal. If you want an environmentally friendly fence then you might want to choose wood.
- The cost of the fence. Fences can vary in price depending on the material and the height of the fence. Picket fences are usually the cheapest option while wrought iron fences are the most expensive.
- The style of the fence. You need to make sure that the fence compliments the style of your house. If you have a traditional style house then you might want to choose a picket fence or wrought iron fence. If you have a modern style house then you might want to choose a palisade or trellis fence.
Types of front garden fencing
Picket fences are a popular choice for front gardens as they are relatively low in height, which means they do not obscure the view of the house. Picket fences can be made from a variety of materials including wood, PVC and metal.
Wrought iron fencing
Wrought iron fencing is a more expensive option but it is very durable and will last for many years. It is also very secure so it is a good choice if you live in a high crime area.
Palisade fences are another option which can provide good security while still allowing light and air to flow through. Palisade fences are made from steel or aluminium and have vertical pickets which are spaced close together.
Trellis fencing is a good choice if you want to add some greenery to your front garden as it provides support for climbing plants. It can also be used to create an attractive feature in your garden.
Woven hurdles are an attractive option which can also be used to create a more natural look in your garden. Hurdles are made from interwoven branches and can be used to fence off a garden or create a boundary between different areas of your garden.
Choosing the right front garden fence
When choosing a fence for your front garden you should consider the following:
- The style of your house
- The size of your garden
- Your budget
- The level of security you need
- Whether you want to add plants or climbers to your fence
If you are unsure about which type of fence would be best for your front garden, you should speak to a professional fencing contractor who will be able to advise you on the best option for your needs. Urban Landscapers Cardiff are specialists fencing contractors in Cardiff, they can use materials for your fence depending on your needs and wants.